NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Markets returned most of their gains on Tuesday, ending the day marginally positive. However, ETFs tracking commodities, including mining and materials, ended Tuesday on a relatively stronger note.
Following the Reserve Bank of Australia's comments that its economy's growth is on track and that China's expansion is stabilizing, the iShares Emerging Markets Materials Index (EMMT) rose 4.81% in early trading on Tuesday, before cooling off to settle at $20.67, up 1.45%. The SPDR S&P International Materials Fund (IRV) gained 3.43%, led by gains in two of its top holdings, BHP Billiton (BHP) and Rio Tinto (RTP).
The PowerShares DBB Base Metals Fund (DBB), an exchange-traded fund that tracks the price movement of base metals, rose 1.97%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV