World Markets Mostly Lower Monday
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- World stock markets mostly drifted lower Monday as concerns about the strength of the global economic recovery appeared to weigh on trading.
Global stocks as measured by the MSCI All-Country World Index were down 0.2% Monday, according to Reuters.
Observers had expected a light session Monday because the U.S. stock market was closed in observance of the 4th of July holiday.
On Friday, the U.S. government reported that nonfarm payrolls fell by a worse-than-expected 125,000.Adding to the jitters about the global recovery, data from China indicate growth there could slow. And on Sunday, Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao said his country's economy faces threats as the world economic recovery appears to be losing steam. > > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll On Monday, European bourses did receive a bit of good news in the form of a report showing that eurozone retail sales increased 0.2% in May. Still, Europe's FTSEurofirst 300 lost 0.1%. Elsewhere, Japan's Nikkei average managed a gain, rising 0.7%. China's Shanghai Composite index lost 0.8%, falling to its lowest level in 15 months, while in Latin America, Brazil's Bovespa index fell 0.2%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV