TRIPOLI -- Libya's top oil official will recommend that the nation take a strategic stake in beleaguered U.K. oil company BP (BP), according to a published media report.
"BP is interesting now with the price lower by half and I still have trust in BP, I will recommend it to the LIA," Shokri Ghanem, chairman of Libya's National Oil Co. was quoted saying in a story by Zawya Dow Jones.
LIA is the Libyan Investment Authority, the country's sovereign wealth fund.
BP's shares have been battered by the aftermath of the company's catastrophic oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.They touched a 14-year low on Friday, June 25 as investors worried an approaching storm would bring chaos to BP's oil recovery efforts. > > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll Investors breathed a sigh of relief after the storm avoided the spill area, and shares gained roughly 7% over the past week, closing Friday at $29.35. The U.S. stock market was closed Monday in observance of the 4th of July holiday. (In a poll, the largest percentage of readers of TheStreet said if BP shares went back to $25, they would be an acceptable buy.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV