IMF Pledges New Loan to Ukraine
KIEV, Ukraine ( TheStreet) -- International Monetary Fund officials Saturday pledged a new $14.9 billion loan for Ukraine after the two sides approved measures aimed at reducing the nation's debt.
The two-and-a-half-year loan, which the IMF announced in a news release, still must be approved by the organization's executive board, which is expected to consider the matter in late July.
Ukraine agreed to contain its deficit to 5.5% of GDP in 2010 and 3.5% in 2011 "with a view to setting public debt firmly on a declining path," Thanos Arvanitis, IMF mission chief for Ukraine, said in the news release.
"The goal of the authorities' economic program is to entrench fiscal and financial stability, advance structural reforms, and put Ukraine on a path of sustainable and balanced growth," Arvanitis added.> > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll The economic program includes financial reforms aimed at shoring up bank capital and strengthening the independence of Ukraine's central bank. It also includes energy reforms intended to help Naftogaz, Ukraine's state-owned energy company, to reduce its deficit to 1% of GDP in 2010 and balance its budget in 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV