NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Lackluster trading interest ahead of the July 4 holidays kept ETF action muted on Friday, despite disappointing job numbers and factory order data.
The SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY) ended the day down 0.54% to $102.02. Volumes picked up towards the later half of the trading session but were still below the average 271 million. Other popular ETFs, including the PowerShares QQQ (QQQQ) and SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average (DIA) were also trading weak on light volumes.
Factory orders declined 1.4% in June, posting the biggest drop in nine months. The news helped push the Industrial Select Sector SPDR (XLI) down 1.61% to $26.91. But the fund recovered in later trading to end flat.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV