NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The end to uncertainty over the Australian mining tax is sending shares of mining companies higher on Friday morning.
After a long and controversial battle over taxes to be levied on mining company profits, the Australian government relented from its harshest position.
Miners will pay more tax, but it won't be in the form of the "super profits" tax that the mining industry railed against. In the mining tax package announced Friday morning, the government is expected to receive an estimated $1.5 billion in extra annual revenue from a resources rent tax on miners.
There was also speculation from mining sector bankers that the favorable turn of events related to the Australian tax plan would open up a stalled pipeline of M&A in the mining sector.Shares of Rio Tinto (RTP) and BHP Billiton (BBL) were both up more than 2.5% at the open on Friday. Xstrata (XTA) traded in London were up more than 4% on Friday. Anglo American (AAL) shares were up 2% on Friday morning in early trading. The big miners had fought the super profits tax with hammering rhetoric, and there were recent indications that political events had turned in their favor.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV