Barnes & Noble
Altman Z-Score, Trailing 12 Months: 2.72
Altman Z-Score 2009: 2.55
Barnes & Noble (BKS) might be seeing some improvement in its Z-Score, but the book retailer isn't very confident in the near-term.On Tuesday, Barnes & Noble issued a disappointing full-year forecast, which sent its stock plunging to its lowest level in 18 months. Management predicts earnings to fall between a loss of 10 cents and profit of 30 cents a share. Barnes & Noble also reported a steep fourth-quarter loss of $32 million, or 58 cents a share, compared with a loss of $2.7 million, or 5 cents, a year earlier. Barnes & Noble is narrowing its focus to the e-reader market, with plans to control 25% of the market by 2013. Earlier in the month, the company slashed its price on its Nook to $199 from $259, igniting a price war with Amazon (AMZN). It also plans on increasing its spending to $150 million from $128 million in order to grow the division.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV