Altman Z-Score, Trailing 12 Months: 2.72
Altman Z-Score 2009: 2.48
J.C. Penney (JCP), of course, has given no indication that it is on the road to a Ch. 11 filing; still, it's worth noting that its Z-Score logs in below the safety zone of a score of 3."One never knows," says Sozzi, who calls out the following characteristics that could make J.C. Penney susceptible to bankruptcy: selling mid-priced merchandise that is getting hit by competition from Kohl's (KSS) and Macy's (M), and the threat of online retail channels. "Taking these basic items into account, over time, one has to wonder if the company runs into trouble servicing its debt," he says. Overall, J.C. Penney has seen improvement in 2010, even though its same-store sales remain sluggish. In the first quarter the department store generated a profit of $60 million, a 140% surge from the year-ago period. J.C. Penney is unique compared to its peers in that its earnings are negatively impacted by a non-cash pension expense each quarter. The department store has a strong liquidity position, which prompted Fitch Ratings to rate the retailer as stable. The company also paid down $393 million in debt maturities due in March 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV