Altman Z-Score, Current: 2.95
Altman Z-Score, 2009: 2.76
Dillard's (TLB) is closest to the safety zone, with a Z-Score of 2.95, but it's easy to see why the department store remains on shaky ground.The department store sector was among the hardest hit amid the recession, and it has been difficult for these companies to regain their footing as shoppers continue to flock to discounters and online retailers. Dillard's, in particular, has reported annual revenue declines in seven of the last 10 years and has lost money in four of the last nine quarters. Still, it seems the company is in the midst of a turnaround. Dillard's stock return is among the highest out of its peer group, up 30% to $21.10 for the year-to-date period. In its first quarter, Dillard's saw its profit surge nearly seven-fold to $48.8 million, or 68 cents a share, as gross margins improved by 300 basis points and the company cut costs by $20.7 million. Dillard's has also issued a quarterly dividend of 4 cents a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV