Analysts wonder how the IPO of the unprofitable electric carmaker will fare over the long term. GM, by comparison, is steadily gaining market share around the world, most notably in China -- the world's largest auto market.
Still, that hasn't prevented investors from putting their faith in Tesla's sleek, electric, Model S sedan, which they believe will be a huge hit when it comes to a market they apparently believe is craving fuel efficiency and seeking relatively affordable cars that fulfill this need.
Tesla is already taking reservations for the roughly $50,000 Model S, which is expected to come to the market by 2012.
Click here to vote on the Tesla Motors vs. GM IPOs
-- Reported by Andrea Tse in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV