NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- In a time when fear and uncertainty are taking the stock market on a rollercoaster ride, the attractiveness of the utility sector remains intact and for good reason.
In general, the utility sector is known for shooting off decent dividends and carrying a relatively high degree of safety. The sector remains a safe haven and tends to shine in times of uncertainty because the services that it offers are an indispensible part of life, enabling utilities to have a reliable earnings stream.
Another reason utilities remain attractive is because they have overcome many of the regulations that once hindered their performance by driving up operational costs.
Additionally, in a low-growth environment, which the U.S. currently is in, utilities provide a yield that is greater than their debt, further boosting their appeal. Currently, major utility players are generating yields north of 5%.Lastly, there doesn't seem to be much improvement in the overall health of the U.S. economy. The expiration of the homebuyer tax credit and an abundance of supply are putting a damper on the real estate markets, unemployment levels remain stubbornly high and don't seem to be improving, consumer confidence remains wary in both the current state of the economy and where it is heading in the near-term future, and the Federal Reserve is keeping interest rates at all-time lows, spurring the fear of deflation. Some diversified ways to gain access to numerous utilities like Exelon (EXC), Southern (SO) and Dominion Resources (D), include:
- The Vanguard Utilities ETF (VPU), which has a yield of 3.96% and closed at $60.30 on Tuesday.
- The iShares Dow Jones US Utilities Sector Index Fund (IDU), which has a yield of 3.99% and closed at $69.22 on Tuesday.
- The Utilities Select Sector SPDR (XLU), which has a yield of 4.38% and closed at $28.44 on Tuesday.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV