Celgene Acquires Abraxis for $2.9 Billion
Celgene is one of the largest biotech companies in the world, with revenue of $2.7 billion last year coming mainly from drugs like Revlimid used to treat cancers of the blood. By acquiring Abraxis, Celgene gains ownership of a drug used to treat breast cancer patients and expands the company's commercial operations into the solid tumor market.
"The acquisition of Abraxis BioScience is an exceptional strategic fit that will accelerate our strategy of becoming a global leader in oncology," said Bob Hugin, Celgene's CEO, in a statement.
Under terms of the agreement, each Abraxis share will be exchanged for $58 in cash and 0.2617 of a share of Celgene common stock. The deal values Abraxis at $71.93 a share, or a 17% premium over the stock's Tuesday closing price of $61.31. That's based on Celgene's Tuesday closing price of $53.24.Celgene said the acquisition of Abraxis will be dilutive to adjusted earnings in 2011 and accretive in 2012. Abraxis markets Abraxane, a reformulation of the chemotherapy drug paclitaxel, as a treatment for metastatic breast cancer patients. Abraxis has also shown potential to treat patients with lung cancer and pancreatic cancer. In addition to cash and stock, Abraxis shareholders are eligible to receive additional cash payments if Abraxis is approved for lung or pancreatic cancers. -- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow Adam Feuerstein on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV