Iamgold Corp. Opens West African Mine
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Canadian gold mining company Iamgold Corp. said Tuesday it has opened its Essakane mine in Burkina Faso six months ahead of its original target.
Iamgold said it began processing ore last week. The mine is one of West Africa's largest undeveloped gold reserves. It is expected to produce more than 500,000 ounces of gold from startup to the end of 2011.
Iamgold owns 90 percent of the Essakane mine. The government of Burkina Faso owns the remaining 10 percent.
Toronto-based Iamgold took over the Essakane mine in 2009 when it acquired fellow Canadian gold mining company Orezone Resources Inc. The company said it has spent $443 million preparing the mine for production, including the relocation of 12,000 people. The project is the largest foreign investment to date in Burkina Faso, the company said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV