NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - Tuesday was not an easy day for stocks, with double-dip fears sending the major market indexes down to big losses. In fact, the only stock among the 30 most actively traded stocks on the New York Stock Exchange to finish Tuesday's trading session up was BP (BP).
BP gained more than 2% on Tuesday and was the fifth most active stock on NYSE, with more than 67 million shares traded. Of course, BP sank to a new oil-spill low share price last Friday at $27, so its rise to $27.67 on Tuesday was still relative to its stock price freefall over the past two months.
While BP and the U.S. Coast Guard had to call off the oil spill cleanup effort in the Gulf of Mexico due to high winds from Hurricane Alex, BP shares were provided a boost by the latest takeover rumors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV