NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Penny stocks have gotten punished as investors sold the riskiest shares since the April sell-off. The following 13 companies received notice in December that they failed to trade above $1 a share for a certain period, a Nasdaq requirement, and now they face delisting after a six-month grace period. Their possible fate: languishing on the thinly traded Pink Sheets.
Altair Nanotechnologies (ALTI)
Closing Price: 30.4 cents (June 29)
Six-Month Stock Performance: -68%Received Nasdaq Notice: Dec. 22 Management's Expected Action: The lithium-battery maker was granted an additional 180 days to regain compliance with the minimum bid price rule. Altair now has until Dec. 20 to get its stock price to close above $1 for 10 consecutive trading days. The solution may end up being a reverse stock split. Altair said its board of directors has authorized a reverse split in the range of 3-to-1 to 10-to-1, although that plan has been put aside due to the grace period extension. For now, Altair said it "shall continue to seek compliance with the minimum bid price rule through revenue growth and other positive operational achievements."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV