BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- U.S. stocks tumbled yesterday on signs of weak U.S. consumer confidence and an economic slowdown in China.
The Russell 2000, a small-cap benchmark, fell 2.5%, less than the S&P 500's 3.1% decline. Although small-caps represent a risky segment of the stock market, there are relatively safe investments. Here are the 10 safest small-caps, according to TheStreet's stock model. Each receives a "buy" rating and a top grade for financial strength, a gauge of balance sheet and business durability. The stocks are ordered by financial-strength score, from worst to best.
10. EZchip Semiconductor (EZCH) designs chips for high-speed networking equipment.
Quarter: First-quarter profit more than doubled to $2.9 million, or 11 cents, as revenue gained 38%. The operating margin widened from 11% to 28%. EZchip has $75 million of cash, equaling a quick ratio of 12, and no debt or interest expenses.Stock: EZchip Semiconductor has advanced 9.4% during the past year, trailing U.S. stock indices. It trades at a price-to-projected-earnings ratio of 15, a premium to the semiconductor industry average. It's cheap based on book value and cash flow. Consensus: Of analysts covering EZchip, one advises purchasing its shares and one recommends holding them. Capstone Investments offers a target of $28, leaving a potential return of 56%. Jefferies (JEF) values the stock at $14.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV