NEW YORK (Consumer Reports) -- The exploding market for applications on Google (GOOG) Android phones, Research In Motion's (RIMM) BlackBerry and Apple's (AAPL) iPhone is a gold mine for developers and has resulted in a rich shopping experience for users looking to get the most out of their handheld computers.
The most interesting development in apps: those that read directions and e-mail aloud to drivers.
Several states have tough laws around driving and smartphone use. These new, useful applications meet the demands of folks who can't live -- and drive, apparently -- without their Android, Blackberry or iPhone. Many of these driving apps rely on GPS functions in the phones, which can be battery killers. As we have seen with battery life in the iPhone 4, HTC EVO for Sprint (S) and the HTC Incredible for Verizon (VZ), managing GPS and WiFi use will lead to better battery life.Consumer Reports has compiled a great list of the best and most useful smartphone apps for drivers. The editors stress that motorists should not handle phones while driving, because it could create a distraction that jeopardizes safety for themselves and for others. Using a mobile phone while driving may have legal consequences as well. Note: Consumer Reports has no relationship with the advertisers on this site.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV