In a statement released before market open, Apple confirmed that it sold more than 1.7 million units of the new iPhone through Saturday, just three days after its launch on June 24.
"This is the most successful product launch in Apple's history," Apple CEO Jobs said in a statement. "Even so, we apologize to those customers who were turned away because we did not have enough supply."
Both Apple and its telecom partner AT&T (T) have struggled to meet the deluge of demand for the new iPhone. Apple also announced that manufacturing issues had forced the tech giant to push back availability of the white iPhone 4.Despite reports of problems with the antenna on the new iPhone 4, the new phone looks set to be another Apple blockbuster. With its 1.7 million units shipped, the new iPhone 4 has easily surpassed initial demand for the popular iPhone 3GS, which saw a million units shipped in its first three days. Apple shares dipped 2 cents, or 0.01%, to $266.68 in pre-market trading. -- Reported by James Rogers in New York Follow James Rogers on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV