It is possible the conflict will lead to a strike on Monday by 2,500 Boeing workers who make F-15 and F-18 jets. These members of IAM Local 837 will take a second strike vote on Sunday. In an earlier vote, they backed a strike by a 1619-459 margin, and Boeing has not altered its intent to establish a defined contribution 401K plan for new hires. The proposed pension plan change is so important that both sides seem willing to risk a strike over it.
"It's something our members cannot understand," said Mark Blondin, the IAM's national aerospace coordinator. "(Some) other companies are happy to offer defined benefit pension plans."
The Boeing workers in St. Louis, many of them older, belong to a pension plan that was established by McDonnell Douglas and taken over by Boeing. As another option, the IAM offers its own plan, which has assets of $7.3 billion and 104,000 active members. Blondin said its costs are lower than the cost of the Boeing plan. "A lot of companies jump on it," he said, because they are relieved of pension funding responsibilities that many companies view as inordinately rigid.In 2009, Boeing introduced a 401K plan for all new-hire, non-union employees. Boeing spokesman Paul Guse said the plan is in place at other Boeing sites, including some with unionized employees. "Companies including Boeing are shifting to these kind of plans to ensure we provide the benefits package preferred by our future workforce and to align with peer company practices in offering plans that are portable and give control for financial decisions to employees," Guse said. However, in recent deals with the IAM, Boeing suppliers Spirit AeroSystems (SPR) and Triumph Group (TGI) both preserved defined benefit pension plans.
|More on Boeing Boeing's Defense Division Explores Start-Ups|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV