(Story updated with latest Ford recall.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- This past year was one of the worst years in the history of the auto industry in terms of the sheer volume of defective vehicles recalled, with Toyota (TM) serving as the poster child of unintended vehicle acceleration and arousing widespread suspicion of the auto industry's quality control standards.
According to the Associated Press, the industry recalled about 20 million vehicles in 2010. In the U.S., recalls hit their highest levels since 2004, with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration having on record hundreds of auto-related recalls, including those from every one of the big six automakers: Toyota, Ford (F), Chrysler, GM (GM), Honda (HMC) and Nissan (NSANY).
Although consumers are hoping that the worst of the auto recall saga ended last year, 2011 is already shaping up to be another memorable year in auto recalls.
Which are the most significant auto recalls by size and name in 2011 and the past year? Click on to see....
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV