Book giant John Wiley & Sons (JW.A) (JW.B) announced a 14.3% dividend hike last week in both its A and B class shares, increasing their payouts to 16 cents per share. The publisher has managed to carve out a profitable space in trade and professional books, which cater to readers in the academic, institutional, and professional world and offer higher margins than mass-market products. In 2010, the company should continue to benefit from a degree of separation from fickle consumers' pocketbooks.
Over the years, Wiley has managed to build up an impressive library of brands, each of which caters to different types of consumers. From business to medical publishing, Wiley has distinguished its offerings as league leaders, much to the chagrin of its competition. Growth in readers in the English-speaking world should continue on-pace. Language barriers and trade difficulties could make international expansion more difficult.
For the rest of this week's dividend stocks, check out the Dividend Stocks portfolio on Stockpickr.
And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV