BioMed (BMR) is a health care REIT that offers office and research space around key metropolitan areas. The company has 73 properties in its portfolio, servicing clients in the biotech, pharmaceutical and government research industries. Last week, shareholders saw a boost in their returns thanks to a 7.1% dividend increase that resulted in a 15-cent quarterly payout.
BioMed has been having a good year thanks to strong occupancy in its properties. With more than 90% of leases expiring well after 2012, this company has plenty of time before it needs to worry about filling vacant space. Likewise, its niche provides a client base that has to deal with exceptionally high switching costs, a factor that encourages lease renewals. And with plenty of lease income rolling into BioMed's coffers in 2010, this REIT should be able to keep up with its dividend outlays this year and beyond.
One of the funds that's counting on those dividends is the Northern Small-Cap Value Fund (NOSGX), which counts BioMed among its holdings. The fund's other positions include Rent-a-Center (RCII) and Sketchers (SKX).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV