BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Last week was a slow one for dividends with only seven companies declaring increases in their payouts to shareholders. But despite that lack of income action, dividends continue to be a big deal on Wall Street -- particularly when stocks are slow to perform and capital gains can't be found.
History tells us that when the market is bearish, dividend stocks are a good place to be. Over the last 36 years, dividend stocks outperformed the rest of the S&P 500 by 2.5% annually, and they outperformed nonpayers by nearly 8% each and every year, according to a study from NDR. And right now, companies that are willing to part with cash in arguably tough times are worth a second look.
Here's a look at this week's dividend increasers.
More on Dividends
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV