Gold is the ultimate safe haven asset and investors turn to the commodity as a form of money that retains some value as paper currencies struggle. The U.S. dollar was also receiving a safe haven bid from investors. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note was at 3.11%, slightly higher from their recent lows, but still indicating that investors are more than willing to lend money to the U.S. at a low price.
Some potential risks for gold in the short-term are profit taking and investors' need for cash. With gold popping almost 12% this year, investors could sell some of their positions to make money off one of the only assets to yield a positive return. In addition, if the stock markets get much worse and traders take a big hit in equities, they might be forced to sell some gold to fund these losses.
Silver prices settled much higher at 37 cents to $19.11 while copper ended up 9 cents at $3.09.
|More on Gold Gold Price News|
|How to Invest in Gold|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV