NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Many stocks made a piecemeal move to the upside Friday, but the Dow couldn't hold on to its gains after coming off session highs late in the session.
The major indices had turned firmly positive in the early afternoon, largely helped by surging financial names, which appeared relieved on news that congressional leaders
After bounding higher and lower throughout today's session, the Dow Jones Industrial Average ended the day on a low note, closing 9 points lower, or 0.1%, at 10,144. But the S&P 500 moved 3 points higher, or 0.3%, to 1077, and the Nasdaq added 6 points, or 0.3%, at 2223.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV