BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Bar-coded icons of customer loyalty line the wallets and hang from the key chains of countless consumers, though that commitment isn't always so richly rewarded.
According to marketing firm Colloquy's Loyalty Census released last year, membership in U.S. customer-loyalty programs has reached 1.8 billion, up from 1.3 billion in 2007. The census showed that the average U.S. household has signed up for 14.1 loyalty programs, but only participates in 6.2 of them.
Why take part in only 44% of programs designed to reward active shoppers? Perhaps the other half of those programs don't prove nearly as rewarding as advertised. Do they offer lots of perks and freebies? Do they give the customer additional access and enhanced service? Or are they just taking up real estate behind better cards because the consumer doesn't want to compile 100,000 points just to get a pat on the back.
TheStreet thumbed through the terms and conditions of more loyalty programs than you can cover with a year's worth of air miles. It came up with five that can be a customer's best friend -- along with five others that can be their worst nightmare. We did the research, so here's your reward:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV