9. Caterpillar (CAT) manufactures construction and mining equipment.
Quarter: Caterpillar swung to a first-quarter profit of $233 million, or 36 cents, from a loss of $112 million, or 19 cents, a year earlier. The operating margin fell from 16% to 12%. Cat has $30 billion of debt, converting to a debt-to-equity ratio of 3.4.
Stock: Caterpillar has doubled during the past 12 months, beating U.S. benchmarks. It sells for a price-to-cash-flow ratio of 6.9, a 58% discount to the machinery industry average. Its PEG ratio of 0.3 reflects a 70% discount to estimated fair value.
Consensus: Of researchers following Caterpillar, 13, or 50%, advocate purchasing its shares, 11 advise holding and two say to sell them. RBC (RY) offers a target of $86, leaving a potential return of 22%. Avondale Partners offers a target of $85.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV