NEW YORK (
On Saturday, China said it will allow the yuan to appreciate against the dollar following a two-year peg to the greenback. The peg has lent a hand to Chinese exporters of late by keeping costs of their goods artificially deflated. But as one of the globe's largest end users of oil, the currency loosening would make the price of overseas goods, particularly dollar-dominated crude, more enticing.
The headline helped propel crude prices in the morning. But the rally began petering out alongside stocks at midday. Phil Flynn, energy analyst at PFGBest, described the mood as "anticlimactic," saying market participants realized the move was not completely unexpected and many may have already priced it in. China's decision also raises some issues in his mind.
"Number one, if you look at the move on the face of it, it's good for commodities because it makes commodities cheaper in China and increases our exports. But if you think about it, it'll slow down China's exports, which could slow down growth," Flynn said. "I don't think the move is as bullish as people think."The July crude oil contract, which had traded near the $79 a barrel mark earlier, was recently improving 38 cents at $77.56, while the more actively traded August delivery contract was gaining 13 cents at $78.30. The dollar had been trading weaker against a group of currencies earlier in the session, but the dollar index was advancing 0.2% of late. Energy stocks were helping lead the major averages higher today, as the NYSE Arca Oil index was up 0.6% and the Philadelphia Oil Service Sector index rose 0.3%. On the Dow, shares of Chevron (CVX) and Exxon Mobil (XOM) were trading 1% and 0.9% higher. In further developments following the BP (BP) oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, the Sunday Times in London reported that
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV