NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- U.S. stocks faded late and finished in negative territory Monday, continuing a recent trend that's seen acute moves near the closing bell. Investors began the day buoyed by news that
After gaining over 100 points earlier in the session, the Dow Jones Industrial Average finished down by eight points, or 0.1%, at 10,442, and the S&P 500 lost 4 points, or 0.4%, to 1113. The Nasdaq also fell below the flat-line late, falling behind by 21 points, or 0.9%, at 2289.
"The news that China is going to allow the yuan to move a little, well, is it really that significant? Probably not. But there was a big upward reaction to that in the morning," said Jim Paulsen, chief investment strategist at Wells Capital Management, just before the close. "But in reality, there wasn't anything overwhelming to justify 150 points. I think people are just looking at the economic news vacuum and are maybe taking a little profits off the table. I think the end-of-the-day trade right now is really because there really isn't any news out there."But the decision spurred a rally across global markets on Monday. Hong Kong's Hang Seng soared 3.1%, and Japan's Nikkei jumped 2.4%. The FTSE in London climbed 0.9%, and the DAX in Frankfurt gained 1.2%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV