Biovail, Valeant Agree to Merge
The combined company will be called Valeant Pharmaceuticals International. The new Valeant will have a "significantly expanded presence in North America and operations in eight other countries, working across four growth platforms," the companies said in a statement Monday.
Under the terms of the merger, Valeant stockholders will receive 1.7809 Biovail shares for each Valeant share they own plus a one-time special cash dividend of $16.77 a share.
Upon completion of the merger, which is expected to occur before the end of 2010, Biovail stockholders will own about 50.5% of the combined company while Valeant stockholders will own roughly 49.5%.The companies said they will pay by Dec. 31 an additional dividend of $1 a share, after which the new Valeant doesn't intend to pay dividends. -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV