NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Telecom giant Verizon Communications (VZ) has discussed the possibility that its Wireless business could start paying a dividend to Vodafone (VOD), according to published media reports.
The move marks a shift in the company's recent financial strategy and the dividend talk pushed up Vodafone's stock on Friday.
Vodafone, which holds a 45% stake in Verizon Wireless, has not received a dividend from the mobile operator since 2005, according to The Financial Times. The newspaper reports that Verizon Wireless may start paying a dividend to both Vodafone and Verizon Communications in 2012.
Verizon Communications' finance director John Killian said that dividend payments may resume in 2012 because Verizon Wireless would have paid down its debt next year.Verizon Wireless was set up as a joint venture between Verizon Communications and Vodafone in 2000. In other Verizon news, rumors of a CDMA version of Apple's (AAPL) iPhone that could run on the telco's network surfaced again this week, pushing Apple's shares to a new high. Apple currently sells the iPhone via and exclusive deal with AT&T (T). There have already been calls for Apple to extend its popular iPhone to Verizon, capitalizing on a new base of wireless subscribers.
-- Reported by James Rogers in New York Follow James Rogers on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV