Earlier this year, Netflix announced in its fourth-quarter earnings report (which included a $30.9 million profit) that it now ships DVDs to 12 million customers around the U.S. It's certainly an impressive number. But it becomes an enticing figure for investors when one realizes that out of those 12 million people, 48% of them streamed at least 15 minutes of video off the company's video-streaming service. A year prior, just 28% of users were streaming videos from Netflix.
|Google invades the living room with Google TV.|
Netflix's growth can be attributed to the amount of devices it has brought streaming service to, including Microsoft's (MSFT) Xbox 360, Sony's (SNE) PlayStation 3, and the Nintendo Wii. It's also available on select Blu-ray players and a set-top box from Roku, among many others.
Netflix isn't alone in the streaming space.
(AMZN) currently offers its Video OnDemand streaming technology on some devices, including the
(BBI), which reported a staggering $65 million loss in its first quarter, is also getting in on the streaming market, but the company isn't performing nearly as well as Netflix in the space.
More on Apple TV
Apple TV: 5 Ways to Not Fail
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV