With the iShares Dow Jones U.S. Industrials (IYJ) up about 5% this year, it makes sense for PUW to be up as well, given that it owns industrials that are also found in IYJ. Unfortunately for investors looking to invest in this alternative energy leader, PUW has meager volume of about 10,000 shares per day.
Therefore, while PUW looks to be the best of the alt-energy bunch right now, eager investors should be wary of the fund's low liquidity, as during the "flash crash" this past May, PUW briefly plummeted to 14 cents per share. For now, better bets may be found in the natural gas sector , which is considered by many to be a bridge fuel.
Overall, with potential federal legislation hanging over the sector, alternative energy ETFs look to be a murky area of investment in the near future.
-- Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV