Silver prices settled 40 cents higher to $19.18 while copper ended down 2 cents at $2.88 weighed down by the World Bank's prediction that China's economy could slow this year and next after popping 11.9% in the first quarter of 2010. China has been credited with jump-starting the global economic recovery and investor fear that any tightening in spending will hurt demand for base metals used in construction.
Gold mining stocks, a more risky and more profitable way to invest in gold, were rising. Agnico-Eagle (AEM) was adding 2.06% to $64.97 while Eldorado Gold (EGO) was slipping slightly to $18.12. Other gold miners New Gold (NGD) and NovaGold (NG) were trading at $6.67 and $7.44, respectively.
More on Gold
Gold Price News
How to Invest in Gold
--Written by Alix Steel in New York.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV