BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Initial public offerings dried up in 2008 amid the global economic crisis, although 2010 is shaping up to be a rebound year in terms of IPO volume in the U.S.
According to Renaissance Capital's IPO Home Web site, 57 IPOs have been priced in 2010, a 533% increase from the same time period a year ago. More than $8.5 billion in total proceeds have been raised so far this year; that's over 350% more than in the first six months of 2009.
Even though 2010 has nearly eclipsed the previous year in terms of the number of IPOs (57 already in 2010 to 63 in all of 2009), the average IPO return in 2010 has been -3.6% from the offer price, a statistic that may scare investors away from initial public offerings in the second half of the year. However, some IPOs have rewarded investors with substantial returns. TheStreet examines the highest-returning IPOs in the first half of 2010 and what investors can expect the rest of the year.
10. MaxLinear (MXL) is a radio-frequency and mixed-signal integrated circuits provider for broadband communications applications.IPO Date: March 23 Offer Price: $14 Return Since IPO: 13.3% Stock: MaxLinear's IPO priced above its expected range of $11 to $13. The stock has a price-to-earnings ratio of 45.97, which is expensive compared to the semiconductor industry average of 11.98. For instance, Analog Devices (ADI) has a P/E ratio of 13.99. Consensus: Of the four analysts covering MaxLinear, all recommend purchasing its shares. Thomas Weisel offers a target of $23, leaving a potential return of 42%. Both Deutsche Bank and Needham & Co. expect the stock to hit $19.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV