Dividend Stock: Viacom (VIA.B)
Unlike Target and Caterpillar, which have been dividend stocks for some time, Viacom made a splash last week with its first-ever dividend announcement. The company will also be resuming its stock buyback program, which was halted in early 2009 amid the financial crisis. The 15-cent quarterly dividend, payable July 1 to shareholders of record by June 17 (that's today!) will cost Viacom about $365 million a year.
Some are worried this may mean the end of growth for Viacom, as the company has struggled since splitting from CBS (CBS) in 2006. And subsidiary Paramount has been suffering because Shrek movie sales haven't been all that great. But Viacom Class B shares are up 25% so far this year, so this new member of the dividend stock army must be doing something right.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV