Three Newly Rated ETFs to Buy
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - TheStreet Ratings initiates coverage of seven exchange-traded funds, or ETFs, that accrued a sufficient track record of risk and performance data by the end of April 2010. Just three of these funds that opened for business in April of 2009 received 'buy' range grades. All three scored our highest possible rating of A+, or Excellent.
The best performer of the bunch, Vanguard FTSE All World ex-US Small-Cap ETF (VSS) gained 26% in the year ending April 30, 2010. The shares have plunged in May on global debt concerns providing a potentially opportune entry point for this fund. The fund is allocated to 43% Europe, 23% emerging markets, 19% Pacific, and 16% North America with key holdings of Crescent Point Energy, Eldorado Gold (EGO), Silver Wheaton (SLW), and IAMGOLD (IAG).
Two SPDR ETFs also start out at A+. The SPDR Barclays Capital Convertible Securities ETF (CWB) topped a 23% return in one year by tracking convertible bonds. Up 20% over the same period, SPDR KBW Mortgage Finance ETF (KME) is benefiting from new single family home sales reaching a two-year high in April.
The past year was the wrong time to bet against 10 year or 30 year treasuries with 300% leverage. Direxion Daily 10-Yr Treas Bear 3X (TYO), rated at D+, lost nearly 12% and Direxion Daily 30-Yr Treas Bear 3X (TMV), rated at D, was mauled for 27%.-- Reported by Kevin Baker in Jupiter, Fla.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV