BP's Latest Blunder
We finally figured out what BP (BP) stands for, and it's not "British Petroleum," "Blunder Prone" or "Big Polluters." No, according to the oil company's chairman himself, those letters represent the words: "Big People."
|BP Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg|
You see, BP Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg, who is Swedish, raised the ire of Gulf Coast residents even higher on Wednesday -- and you thought that was impossible -- when he told reporters in Washington that his company cares "about the small people." The remark, which was intended as a play for sympathy, boomeranged on Svanberg, forcing the company to once again beg for forgiveness.When pressed about Svanberg's statement, BP spokesman Toby Odone told The Associated Press in an email that "it is clear that what he means is that he cares about local businesses and local people. This was a slip in translation." Of course it was! We understand entirely. Just like we understood when his CEO Tony Hayward slipped up when he said he "wants his life back." Hopefully, the $20 billion BP agreed to place in an escrow account to cover damage claims from the spill this week will teach them not just to watch their rigs, but their words as well. We'll just call that $20 billion "the small people's BP," as in "Big Payback." Dumb-o-meter score: 95 -- We've found yet another BP hole worth plugging -- it's the chairman's mouth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV