General Mills' PR Ills
Somebody find Ashton Kutcher, General Mills (GIS) got Punk'd.
The cereal-maker said on Wednesday that it was the subject of a prank press release that said President Obama had ordered a probe into the company's supply chain following recent recalls. The release was sent overnight on PR Newswire, a main distributor of corporate press announcements, and was picked up by some major news outlets including Reuters and Dow Jones before the hoax was revealed.
General Mills said it was investigating the matter and that "law enforcement is involved." PR Newswire - ironically lacking any PR skills whatsoever - issued a statement saying the release came from an unauthorized sender and offered no further comment. Also silent on the matter was Allen Funt, the former host of Candid Camera, who passed away over a decade ago.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV