6. Cost Plus (CPWM) is a home furnishings retailer based in Oakland, Calif. The stock traded above $40 at the beginning of 2004 and were on a steady decline, falling below $1 for much of 2009. Cost Plus shares finished last year at $1.02.
Closing Price: $4.68 (June 16)
Total Return (YTD): 358.8%Developments in 2010: In March, Cost Plus swung to a fourth-quarter profit of 95 cents a share from a loss of 83 cents a share in the year-ago quarter. A month later, the company ended its shareholder rights plan earlier than planned. Cost Plus said in May that it had a first-quarter loss of 47 cents a share, although that narrowed from a loss of $1.88 a share in the year-ago quarter. For the second quarter, Cost Plus said it expects revenue to fall in a range between $189 million and $192 million. Valuation: Raymond James is the only firm covering Cost Plus, and it recommends holding shares. The company has a book value of $2.90 and a price-to-book ratio of 1.66, which is in line with the average of its general retailers peer group, according to Bloomberg. Cost Plus shares offer investors value on a price-to-sales basis, as the company's P/S ratio of 0.12 is well below the sector average of 1.40.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV