7. Somaxon Pharmaceuticals (SOMX) is a specialty pharmaceutical company, based in San Diego, that focuses on treatments for diseases in the central nervous system
Closing Price: $4.94 (June 16)
Total Return (YTD): 357.4%Developments in 2010: In March, the Food and Drug Administration approved Somaxon's Silenor as a new treatment for insomnia, news that pushed the company's stock above $9 per share. Jumping at the opportunity, Somaxon offered 6.9 million shares of common stock at the end of March at $8.25 per share. The stock has been on a steady slope down since and even a shrinking first-quarter net loss (announced in May) has done little to stem the decline. CEO Richard Pascoe said Somaxon will spend the second half of 2010 seeking a U.S. commercial partnership, building a U.S. commercial presence and preparing to launch Silenor. Valuation: Only two firms (Oppenheimer and Jefferies) cover Somaxon, and both have a buy rating on the stock. With a price target of $13, Jefferies expects a 166% return over the next year. From a book value perspective, Somaxon's price-to-book ratio of 2.96 is below the pharmaceutical and biotech sector average of 5.27, according to Bloomberg. If the company were to find a commercial partner in the U.S., it may help stop the share price from sliding further from the March highs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV