9. SMTC (SMTX) is an electronics manufacturing services provider based in Toronto. Shares finished 2009 at 88 cents after spending most of the year trading below the $1 mark.
Closing Price: $3.56 (June 16)
Total Return (YTD): 304.6%Developments in 2010: In March, SMTC reported a fourth-quarter profit of 16 cents a share, doubling the single-analyst estimate and sending shares higher. SMTC followed that in May by reporting first-quarter earnings from continuing operations of 14 cents a share compared with a year-ago loss of 6 cents a share. Later in May, SMTC said it amended loan agreements with Wells Fargo Capital Finance Corp. and Export Development Canada to refinance its short- and long-term debt. In June, SMTC said it adopted a rights plan, or "poison pill," designed to protect the company's approximately $100 million in U.S. federal net operating loss carry-forwards (NOLs). Valuation: SMTC shares are trading just below their 52-week high of $4.30, and the company has seen a sharp uptick in share volume to levels not seen since the stock traded above $7 per share in 2007. SMTC shares currently have a price-to-book ratio of 2.49, which is expensive compared to peers in the electronic and electrical equipment sector. However, the stock has a minuscule price-to-sales ratio of 0.27, which is well below the sector average of 2.64, according to Bloomberg.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV