ETFs for a Chip Rally
SMH managed to outperform IGW and XSD, but it is still slightly underperforming the S&P 500 with a decline of 1.3% so far in 2010.
Another way to play a rebound in the semiconductor sector is to gain exposure via international ETFs with large sector exposure. There are two country-specific ETFs that spring to mind.
The first is iShares MSCI Korea Index Fund (EWY). The fund's top holding is Samsung, which accounts for a hefty 18.1% of holdings.
In its last earnings report, Samsung noted that its chip business was a significant source of revenue growth for the company. More recently, the company announced that it would be investing $3.6 billion in a chip production plant in Austin, Texas, in a bullish gesture that future chip demand will stay strong.Another international play on semiconductors is iShares MSCI Taiwan Index Fund (EWT). This fund's top holding, accounting for 13.8% of assets, is Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing (TSM). In addition to TSM, the fund has several other tech-related companies outside of the specific semiconductor sector and information technology accounts for 60.8% of the assets in this ETF. In sum, the best way to play a rally in the semiconductor sector, with a domestic slant, is by using XSD or IGW. For an international play on the rally, EWT or EWY are the best choices. -- Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV