Among them, of course, are the clean up companies themselves.
Norwell, MA-based Clean Harbors (CLH) is "one of the biggest companies to benefit from the oil spill," according to Toon van Beeck, an analyst at market research firm IBISWorld. Indeed, Clean Harbors is already estimating that the event will result in an increase in second-quarter revenues of about $53 million to $70 million.
Clean Harbors is involved in many aspects of the spill response, including containment, removal, disposal and recycling of the recovered oil. Its "stock price jumped a lot when the disaster happened," van Beeck said. "They also came out saying their industry has been stronger." Shares of Clean Harbors have jumped about 23% since April 20, when the oil crisis began.Van Beeck says that BP has used Clean Harbors before, and the two companies have a good relationship. The U.S. remediation and environmental cleanup services industry has experienced a great deal of growth over the last few years, given the enormity of natural disasters such as Hurricane Katrina. According to IBISWorld, it was a $10.3 billion industry in 2004, but then grew by about 12.4% in revenue in 2005, then by about 20% in 2006, in the aftermath of the Hurricane Katrina, to about a $13.8 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV