Trend lines, which connect two or more stock price points, are a key aspect of technical analysis, defining price movement and indicating entry and exit points. Trend line support is an area that a stock's share price has difficulty moving below, the opposite of resistance, which indicates an area that the price has difficulty moving above. Identifying support levels can give traders insight into when to pull the trigger on a trade and how to minimize downside risk.
Trend line support is forecast by a positive-sloping trend line based on the formation of increasing support levels as time has progressed. Horizontal support, a type of trend line support, occurs at a point at which many buyers have historically entered a stock, thereby consistently buoying the price at that level.
Generally speaking, buying opportunities exist when a stock bounces off a long-term trend line, and shorting opportunities exist when a stock breaks downward through a long-term uptrend line.To learn more about trend line trading and the different kinds of support levels to watch for, read our technical primer on trend line support.
|BP Oil Spill Q&A Dan Dicker Answers Your Questions!|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV