Along the same lines, iShares issued a similar suite of bond ETFs that targets the muni market.
Here's that lineup:
iShares 2012 S&P AMT Free Municipal Series
iShares 2013 S&P AMT Free Municipal SeriesiShares 2014 S&P AMT Free Municipal Series iShares 2015 S&P AMT Free Municipal Series iShares 2016 S&P AMT Free Municipal Series iShares 2017 S&P AMT Free Municipal Series The risks boil down to what happens with the states that are in the most trouble -- budget deficits, pension shortfalls, big drops in tax revenue, or any combination of the three. All but one of the ETFs is heaviest in California, which is very bad off. Most of the funds have large positions in New York and Arizona, which also are troubled. For example, my home state of Arizona recently had to pass a new sales tax to prevent layoffs from many state departments including teachers. There is divergent sentiment on the fate of the states and, by extension, their bonds. Investors interested in this category need to do research and decide for themselves. Anyone believing that states aren't in real trouble may do quite will with the funds. For what it's worth, I'm avoiding munis for our firm's clients.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV