I'm more than willing to view Delcath's CS data as strong enough for approval since the bear thesis focuses more on the commercial market than efficacy and safety. With that said, two patients treated with the CS procedure died from neutropenic sepsis. Likely, this means some of the ultra-high dose of the chemotherapy melphalan used to kill liver tumors escaped the filters in the CS device and got into the patient's blood stream.
The FDA previously placed Delcath's CS clinical trial on hold due to a safety issue. That hold was lifted and the study was completed, but the disclosure of the two deaths from neutropenic sepsis may concern FDA enough to delay the system's approval until the agency is satisfied that the melphalan filters are doing the job.
Delcath said this week that the FDA approval filing will be completed in October. Assuming a six-month review, the FDA's approval decision date will come next April. Before that, expect an FDA advisory panel to review the CS data.
Next week: Non-ASCO questions! Promise.-- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow Adam Feuerstein on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV