Cramer spoke with Sen. Tom Coburn (R., Okla.) about the U.S.'s amazing opportunity to avoid a liquidity crisis, like Greece is facing now, by issuing $2 trillion worth of 30-year treasury bonds to lock in low interest rates.
Coburn said those in Washington are focused only on short-term gains, and are afraid to spend $1 today to avoid spending $12 later. He advocated not only issuing $2 trillion to shore up the Treasury, but also $1.6 trillion more to shore up both Fannie Mae (FNM) and Freddie Mac (FRE). "The demand is there," he said.
Coburn acknowledged that such a plan would cost some $60 billion, but said not doing it would cost far more, as the country is poised for a liquidity crisis similar to Greece in about two years. He said rates will most certainly be higher then than they are now.Cramer equated such a plan to a home owner locking in a 30-year fixed rate mortgage and agreed with Coburn that such a plan is vital to America's stability and its future.
Lightning RoundCramer was bullish on Aruba Networks (ARUN), Akamai Technologies (AKAM), Procter & Gamble (PG) and Bank of America (BAC). He was bearish on Mexican Economic Development (FMX) and Linn Energy (LINE). -- Written by Scott Rutt in Washington D.C. To watch replays of Cramer's video segments, visit the Mad Money page on CNBC. Want more Cramer? Check out Jim's rules and commandments for investing from his latest book by clicking here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV