BP's imprint on the Gulf Coast is well reflected by new BP logo idea No. 7. And if there is one thing worse than having blood on your hands, it is having oil on your hands that is causing so much loss of life across species.
Many of the Gulf species that feed on or near the surface, like the bottlenose dolphin, are impacted by the heavy crude oil that the human eye can see in photos or on television. That's the proverbial blood on BP's hands that the public can monitor easily.
However, one of the most distressing imprints of the worsening BP oil spill crisis was the confirmation from the federal government on June 9 that there are oil plumes hidden from the public eye roving in the deeper waters of the Gulf.
BP continues to deny that the oil plumes exist, going so far as to turn the controversy into a semantic arguments, and saying a plume is not a plume is not a plume, but maybe a few minor concentrations of underwater oil that shouldn't be of concern to anyone. U.S. Coast Guard Read Admiral suggested the replacement of the "oil plume" with the "oil cloud" on Wednesday.It's a game of BP oil spill MadLibs among the powers that be. Yet, the fear from the independent scientific community is that while BP and the government can play with the words in a new turn on George Orwell's warnings about the political abuse of language, the underwater oil plumes are creating a marine dead zone. Sea microbes are sucking up all the oxygen in the areas of the water column that the plumes inhabit. Plume. Cloud. Why not just call it a "marine black hole," or "Black Portal of marine death" for the sake of acronymic consistency.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV