It is not surprising that many of the suggestions for a new BP logo express anger in terms of the threat to wildlife in the Gulf of Mexico region, and one comes in at No. 9 in this non-focus group-tested ranking of potential BP logo changes.
In a tragic irony of the BP oil spill, an oft-quoted bit of oil-spill trivia is that hair is a great absorber of oil, and barber shops and salons around the country have been put on alert to think differently about floor sweepings. Yet the sad truth is that there is already too much animal surface absorbing the heavy crude from the leaking BP well, specifically in the form of feathers from the many types of seabirds referenced in the above new BP logo image.
The brown pelican, driven to the brink of extinction in the 1960s after the widespread use of the pesticides DDT, has rebounded in the Gulf and has become one of the poster-children, or poster-animals, for the widening BP oil spill impact on the Gulf Coast wildlife. It's no longer the 1960s Silent Spring, but a very ugly spring and summer, and beyond, for the Brown Pelican. The brown pelican was just removed from the endangered species list last year.
(B)rown (P)elican...There's a BP acronym tragic irony for you.It's not just the brown pelicans, but white pelicans, terns, gulls, shorebirds, skimmers and herons that are at risk with the oil encroaching on sensitive nesting and feeding areas along the Gulf Coast. The lawsuits filed by environmental groups have also been flooding into the Gulf region, though many are taking aim at the Interior Department of the U.S. federal government. The Center for Biological Diversity, the Sierra Club and the Gulf Restoration Network have all filed lawsuits making various allegations regarding Interior's Minerals Management Service ignoring law in its "too cozy" relationship with the oil industry.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV